About the Event

The event comprises:

- Swim 750 m (in the cold water of Hartlepool Marina!)

- Cycle ~20 km (from Hartlepool Marina to Seaton Carew 3 times)

- Run 5 km (around the Marina)


I did the swim by myself with Benjamin supervising from the shore.

For the Cycle, we used our special tandem - a Hase Pino. I aspire to Benjamin helping with the pedalling, but he rarely does, unless I am trying to stay still and talk to someone!

For the run we used Benjamin's cross country wheelchair - an Advance Mobility Freedom chair.


Sunday 11 August 2013

Running Technique



We will do the run with Benjamin in his cross country wheelchair, so I will have to learn to run pushing it.

I am used to using it walking, but I will have to adjust my running technique because I may have problems kicking the chair, and I will not be able to use my arms like I usually do when I am running.

So, we went for a try out this morning on a course that is about the same as the actual race (http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1615602).
It went pretty well - the wheelchair handle is far enough behind the back wheels that it did not interfere with my stride, which was good - Benjamin's previous one was smaller and I used to kick it if I tried to run normally.

The main surprise was how hard it was on my arms - I will have to decide whether to run with elbows locked to reduce the strain, or maybe move closer to the handle so I can push it along with my body to some extent.

Still, we did the 5 km in less than 24 min - a good bit slower than I would expect doing the run by myself, but not too bad for a first attempt with the wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment