About the Event

The event comprises:

- Swim 750 m (in the cold water of Hartlepool Marina!)

- Cycle ~20 km (from Hartlepool Marina to Seaton Carew 3 times)

- Run 5 km (around the Marina)


I did the swim by myself with Benjamin supervising from the shore.

For the Cycle, we used our special tandem - a Hase Pino. I aspire to Benjamin helping with the pedalling, but he rarely does, unless I am trying to stay still and talk to someone!

For the run we used Benjamin's cross country wheelchair - an Advance Mobility Freedom chair.


Saturday 21 September 2013

Triathlon Tactics

Just in case I forget, the tactics we are adopting for the Triathlon are:

  • Swim:  Start at the back, go nice and steady for the first half, then think about speeding up in the second half if I feel up to it.   I won't be too surprised if there is some competition for starting at the back.....The objective is to survive this part of the race and not worry about time - I'm not good enough for that.
  • Cycle:  Once we get going (I think the transition will be slow to get Benjamin into the tandem and get the tandem to the mount line), go hard all the way - nice and simple that way - no thinking required!
  • Run:  See what we have got left.  I'll keep an emergency energy gel for the last lap on the bike so we should have something left, and at least it is only 5k - I can crawl that if necessary!   The plan is to get Benjamin out of his wheelchair for the last couple of hundred metres so he can finish himself - he might have to push me by then!
No problem!   Don't tell the opposition our tactics though!

No comments:

Post a Comment